Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new type of benefit that replaces the following benefits and tax credits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

For more information, go to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) website.

How will it affect me?

Universal Credit is a new benefit that was introduced in 2013. It is for people of working age, in or out of work, and designed to top up their income to a minimum level. Universal Credit will eventually replace Housing Benefit and certain other benefits for people who are out of work, as well as tax credits for people in work.

To find out more information about how Universal Credit will affect you, please visit The Money Advice Service website.

How do I pay my rent?

Universal Credit will be paid directly to your bank account each month and in arrears. It is important you pay your rent on time. We recommend setting up a Direct Debit with us, so you can make your rent payments automatically, without any worry. You will find more information on paying by Direct Debit on our How to pay page, or call us on 0800 316 0897.

The Money Advice Service has created a useful tool to help you manage your Universal Credit payment – https://obs.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/ .

Universal Credit helplines

  • Universal Credit helpline – 0800 328 5644
  • Text phone – 0800 328 1344
  • Payment services – 0800 328 0172
  • DWP debt management – 0800 916 0647

Open Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm